What is Plasma?

After red blood cells, white blood cells, platelets, and other cellular constituents have been eliminated, plasma is the colorless, straw-colored liquid fraction of blood that remains. Water, salts, enzymes, antibodies, and other proteins make up the single greatest aspect of human blood, accounting for around 55 percent.

Plasma serves a multitude of roles in the body, including blood coagulation, illness prevention, and other vital processes. Source plasma is plasma obtained from healthy, willing donors using a procedure known as plasmapheresis and used solely for the manufacture of final therapies (fractionation) at plasma center. For their work and exertion, source plasma donors may be rewarded.

Plasma performs four critical tasks in the human body:

  1. Assists in the maintenance of blood pressure and volume.
  2. Provide essential proteins for coagulation and immunity.
  3. Transports electrolytes to our muscles, including salt and potassium.
  4. Supports cell activity by assisting in the maintenance of a normal pH balance in the body.

What is plasma, and what does it have to do with blood?

Plasma makes up about 55 percent of our blood, with the remaining 45 percent made up of red blood cells, white blood cells, and platelets dispersed in plasma. About 92 percent of plasma is made up of water. There are additionally 7% important proteins including albumin, gamma globulin, and anti-hemophilic component, as well as 1% mineral salts, carbs, lipids, hormones, and nutrients in it.

What is the purpose of blood plasma?

Patients suffering trauma, burns, and shock, as well as those with severe liver disease or numerous clotting factor shortages, are frequently given plasma. It assists with blood coagulation and increases the patient’s blood volume, which can help prevent shock. Plasma is used by plasma centers. to make medicines for immunological inadequacies and bleeding disorders

What is Plasma Donation?

Volunteerism in various forms is encouraged by the plasma protein therapies sector. Plasma donation and blood donation are crucial actions that help save lives. Plasma from donors and retrieved plasma are used to create therapies for persons with rare, chronic diseases and illnesses such primary immunodeficiency, hemophilia, and a genetic lung disease, as well as trauma, burns, and shock. Transfusions are frequently necessary for surgery or other medical attention, and whole blood donations are frequently used locally in plasma center.


Plasma donation necessitates a time commitment as well as a desire to donate on a regular basis. Donating source plasma usually takes one to three hours, and plasma can be donated twice in a seven-day timeframe. The programmers may fit into a donor’s life in different ways at different times, but they are all equally crucial in helping to meet a critical medical need.